Actually, a newly purchased Air Compressor must be commissioned under the supervision of a product engineer. But in some cases, it’s impossible for engineering companies to wait for a long time for commissioning engineers.
In this situation, you can refer below-mentioned steps for proper installation and commissioning of a reciprocating air compressor.
The procedure mentioned in this article will apply to all reciprocating air compressors of any make. Especially, Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll Rand, Atlas Copco, Kirloskar Pneumatic, etc.
An Air compressor is the most affordable utility when it works fine. It all depends upon the commissioning and start-up.
I visited many engineering firms as a field service engineer during my engineering career. What shocking to me is that, maintenance engineers even doesn’t know How to start and Stop Air Compressors Proper way.
Always start and stop the air compressor in unload condition. If you follow this one simple tip, you will get a good life of this important utility.
Before you start commissioning just read the below article for pre-commissioning checks,
Procedure to follow for the commissioning of the new reciprocating air compressor
01) Be certain leveling screws in the frame base have been backed off, and foundation bolts are tightened properly
02) Clean off all accumulated dirt from an exterior of a compressor and electric motor
03) Remove covers, tapes, and wrapping from openings that had been blanked and sealed
04) Open the frame top cover and check all connecting rods, bolts, etc. to see that they are correctly installed and tightened. Check the crankshaft end float
05) Check and clean thoroughly the inside of the frame. Use cloth for cleaning inside. Never use cotton waste on internal parts
07) Fill the frame (Oil Sump) with the correct grade of oil up to the required level. (Middle of the visual screw)
08) Rotate the compressor manually, in direction of rotation and check bearing lubrication as well as the free-running of a crankshaft
09) Fill oil in force-feed lubricator, disconnect oil line near to cylinder, and rotate handle. Check oil is coming at the end of the lubricating pipe. Reconnect the oil line and operate the pump for at least 20-25 turns
10) Check each compressor piston rod to be certain it is smooth and rust-free, especially for the section where the piston rod is passing through packing and wiper rings
11) Check the bumping clearance as per recommended
12) Replace the frame inspection cover on the compressor
13) Check the air cleaner and suction lines for dirt and clean, if required
14) Check all electrical connections for correct tightness
15) Check the insulation resistance with a meager. If any moisture or dirt in the winding is indicated remove it immediately
Final Commissioning of Air Compressor
17) When satisfied with an electric motor, fit v-belts, align motor, and adjust belts tension as required
18) Check strainer/air filter before unloader and ensure pressure sensing airline is clean and free from rust, dust, etc.
19) Remove all suction and discharge valves and start the motor. Check oil pressure unusual noise, vibration, and safety tripping
20) Shut down the compressor; check all parts for unusual heating. Install all suction and discharge valves
21) Restart the compressor and continue to run until the unit has warmed. Check various temperature and pressure gauges for proper operations
22) When found everything is in order put the compressor air discharge net to supply compressed air for plant utilities
Follow all the above instructions while commissioning every new or overhauled reciprocating air compressor. I have tried to cover as many as possible points.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites.