Due to some reasons like breakdown or cleaning of Inner Head, cylinder required to be removed from compressor unit.
In the double stage, reciprocating air compressor or multi-stage reciprocating air compressor, low pressure, and high-pressure cylinders are used. Hence the removal procedure is the same for all cylinders.
This doesn’t require too much technical knowledge but you have to follow some procedures for disassembling the cylinders.
The general instructions are given here for disassembly and reassembly apply to all compressors. The reciprocating compressor may manufacture by Ingersoll Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, or Kirloskar, it doesn’t matter.
So, The Important Procedure to be followed for Disassemble the Compressor Cylinder
01) Closed cooling water inlet and outlet valves. Drain water from the cylinder by opening drain plugs provided at the inner and outer heads. Open both cylinders’ water jackets and remove water.
02) Close discharge air service valve and unload air valve. Remove all air from the air receiver, if the compressor has a separate Air Receiver.
03) Remove Inter-Cooler and After-Cooler, if fitted. Also, don’t forget to remove water from these parts.
04) Remove Suction Filter and discharge pipe, if the compressor has only one cylinder. If you have to remove high-pressure Cylinders, remove only the discharge pipe.
If you have to remove the low-pressure Cylinder, remove the suction filter only. This is applicable to a double-stage compressor.
05) Mark the suction and discharge side of Cylinders and remove all suction and discharge valves also.
06) Remove nuts and bolts from an outer head and remove the outer head from the cylinders.
07) Loosen the crosshead nut and turn the compressor piston rod out of the crosshead and remove the nut from the rod.
08) Push piston from a cylinder with a block between crosshead and piston rod. Remove piston assembly with the help of two or three people, as applicable.
09) Remove nut and bolts of inner head or frame end. Remove compressor cylinders from the unit along with the inner head.
10) Remove the inner head from the cylinder.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books