In an engineering plant, storage is the place where machines and spare parts are stored. Actually, a stationary air compressor is not a machine to keep in store. If the foundation is incomplete, it requires storage for some time.
In this situation, you have to take due care up to the commissioning of the compressor.
The unpainted Compressor surfaces are subjected to Rust and Corrosion.
However, every Compressor going out of the factory is always processed with Rust Preventive Oil.
This Rust Preventive Oil will work better for up to one month and if your requirement is more than this period then you should have to take extra preventive steps.
The Rate of Corrosion varies with Climatic Conditions. Variance in Climatic conditions makes it impossible to state the length of time. In a very humid climate, rust formation is fast, and in a dry climate, it is slow.
So, the Procedure for Storage of Air Compressor is as below
01) Open the top cover from the crankcase and clean the Crankcase from the inside with help of the cloth. Never use cotton waste for cleaning purposes.
02) Fill H.P.Rustop-286 or any other Anti-Corrosive Oil in the Crankcase and rotate the Compressor belt wheel several times. This will ensure the circulation of Anti-Corrosive Oil to all moving parts, Cross-Slide and Guide.
03) Clean low-pressure and high-pressure cylinders and spray a sufficient quantity of H.P.Rustop-286 and rotate Air Compressor for several revolutions.
04) Place Silica Gel bags in valve ports and refit valve covers if the Air Compressor is a Non-Lubricated type. Nowadays Teflon spray is used to prevent the valve from corrosion. Don’t remove this material.
05) Drain water from Cylinder Jackets, Inter-Cooler, and After-Cooler and thoroughly flush with clean water with H.P. Radiator Cleaner.
Refilled the system with a 10:1 mixture of Water and H.P. Radiator Cleaner and keep it for 4 to 5 days. Remove it after the said period. In cold conditions, where Water Freezing may occur, in that case, drain the mixture immediately.
06) Drain H.P.Rustop-286 or any other Anti-Corrosive Oil from Frame and Force Feed Lubricator.
07) If V-Belts are fitted, remove them completely and store them in a separate place.
08) Apply a sufficient quantity of preservative grease to the piston rod also.
09) Plug and seal all openings thoroughly, so the Moist-Air and Dirt do not enter any part of the compressor.
10) Storage Air Compressor in a dry place under shade or in a separate room.
So, I hope the above guidelines for storage will help you to store your compressor very safely until you start utilizing it.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites.