Lubricant Oil is the important media of lubrication in an air compressor so, due care is required to be taken about lubrication oil and its level.
In old air compressors, two numbers of visual screws (Indicators) are provided. The lower indicator indicates a lower level of lube oil while the upper indicator indicates a required level of lube oil.
Nowadays only one lube oil level indicator is provided, in which you have to maintain lubrication oil level up to the red mark or at half level. This much oil in the crankcase is more than sufficient.
In lubricated or non-lubricated air compressor lubrication of important reciprocating air compressor parts is done by lubrication oil with the use of an oil pump, strainer, oil filter, etc.
All engineering concerned must have the proper information on lubricants and lubrication oil required for various machines. So, you can obtain the best performance from a compressor.
Some Important points to remember about Lubrication Oil
01) Never mix two different brands of lube oil. If you want to use other brands of oil, drain existing oil completely and cleaned the frame thoroughly before filling other brands of oil.
02) Maintain correct oil level. The low oil level will cause foaming due to a mixture of air and oil. A higher oil level will cause excessive high oil temperature.
Hence you have to maintain the normal working oil temperature will be 70-degree centigrade.
03) It is necessary to drain periodically condensed water, sludge, and other impurities accumulated at the bottom of the crankcase, before making up the required level of oil.
04) Replace crankcase oil at 50 working hours after commissioning of the compressor. It is not practical to state definitely how often the framed oil should be changed because operating conditions vary from site to site.
However, it is recommended to change the oil after every 3000 working hours or every six months, whichever is earlier.
05) Always keep a close watch on the lubrication oil pressure shown in the oil pressure gauge. Any indication of low oil pressure must be investigated and rectified at the earliest.
The oil filter must be replaced after every 1500 working hours or after every 3 months.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
So, Here you find the Best Engineering Resources for further details
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites.