Many times I face problems due to the wrong air intake pipeline to the compressor. Hence I will like to share important information on the intake pipeline of the compressor with you.
Purchasing compressors from reputed compressor manufacturers like Atlas Copco, ELGI, Ingersoll Rand, Kirloskar, Chicago Pneumatic, etc. will not guarantee trouble-free operation.
All Engineering concern staff must have overall knowledge about the efficient running of the utilities. So, it will better help you obtain the highest performance from the compressor.
In an air compressor, the performance of the compressor is mostly dependent upon the quality of air that has been sucked by the air suction filter element.
The air compressor will give the best result when clean air has entered the cylinder. As it is imperative that the air sucked by the air compressor should be clean, dry, and also cool.
Hence, it is advisable to fit an air intake pipe to be taken towards a clean atmosphere. Then mount the air suction filter.
So, How to Design Air Intake Pipe Line of Reciprocating Air Compressor
01) The air intake pipeline should not be located in the vicinity of any delivery pipeline which is normally hot. It is advisable that the compressor should suck air as cold as possible. It means your compressor or suction filter should not near the boiler or furnace.
02) The air intake pipe system should be sized so as to give a low-pressure drop. Keep air filter near to compressor.
03) The velocity of air through the intake pipeline should be about 400 meters per minute.
04) Avoid unusually long pipelines as it will increase the resistance to the flow of air. Hence increase pressure drop, thereby resulting in loss of air compressor capacity.
05) Many times we are required to use long pipes; it is advisable to use large radius bends, which give minimum resistance to airflow.
06) Air intake pipeline should be painted with a rust-preventive from the inside. This will avoid any rust or foreign particles to be sucked into the cylinder.
07) At certain critical lengths of intake, pipe resonance may occur; it is imperative therefore to correctly design the intake pipeline. Especially consider pipe length and diameter to eliminate resonance.
08) The air intake pipeline must have proper support. So that it does not transmit any undue load to the compressor.
09) To avoid the vibrations, which may transmit to the wall and building, the intake pipeline must not be rigidly attached to walls or ceilings.
10) It is advisable to have independent air intake pipelines for each air compressor.
I hope the information will help you to understand something about the intake pipeline.
Besides this information, you are suggested to read something more from below engineering books
So, Here you find the Best Engineering Resources for further details
To get the more details about the topic, I further recommended reading
If you like the post, share it with your friends and also on social sites.